Uli Merkel's Forum Forum Index Uli Merkel's Forum
dITo WORK-area: discussions, contributions, etc. ulrichmerkel(a)web(.)de
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(temporary?) stop of action

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Uli Merkel's Forum Forum Index -> DITO_USVN
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ads






Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Ads

Back to top
uli
Site Admin


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: (temporary?) stop of action Reply with quote

Betreff: USVN versus UD6
Von: "Ulrich Merkel <UlrichMerkel@web.de>
An: "Petr İimek" <ptrsi@seznam.cz>
Datum: 20.11.09 08:36:44


Hi Petr,

To use SVN, we need some flat files with a fine granularity.

Our concept:
Because the repository information is held in a "real" database, we have to transfer the info to flat files.
- we have to create export files on our own (export)
- we have to load the information back to the database (import)

UD6 from march-hare:
The UD6 is a database driver. The repository information is stored directly as XML files.
This causes longer waits if you browse through "all components" because they have to open a lot of files.
They do not skip the step as you say, these XML files ARE the database.

From your arguments, I would recommend the UD6 because:
- it works dirtectly inside of the idf with no "additional" steps
- it exists over years (so shuld be minimal bug-risk)

Because this makes sense, I have no problem, if you decide to use UD6 and not spend time on the USVN any more.

Success,
Uli

P.S. Unfortunately, Uniface does not provide any plug-in support or hook mechanism
where you can append your own functionality to the idf internal processing.

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: "Petr İimek" <ptrsi@seznam.cz>
> Gesendet: 19.11.09 19:58:43
> An: Ulrich Merkel <UlrichMerkel@web.de>
> Betreff: Re: Re: Re: Uniface svn integration (extended version 2)

> Hi Uli
>
> I went already through the documents you sent me. However I did not import the source code yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I assume it all works in this way - every developer has it's own Uniface repository (with sources in database), but inside of idf there is additional menu allowing developer to load component from the svn repository on the file system. Then the component is inside the Uniface database and once the coding and perhaps testing is ready, component can be loaded (again with the help of additional menu) back to the svn, so others can work on newer version.
>
> If I compare it with ud6 - they do a bit more - they completely skip the phase of storing the component in the database. Every modification of any source code (component, global object) can directly be mapped to modification of a file on the file system.
>
> I definitely do not want to say I'm not going to continue over here on this svn Uniface integration. Maybe this is the only option left for the team if my manager will not find budget for 50 ud6 licenses ...
>
> But anyway - do you know ho to relink Uniface and remap some basic Uniface functions (every data store, every data load) to your own functions? In such function you should always get pointer to internal Uniface data stream. (maybe trx). What you finally do with this stream is up to you - by default Uniface stores it into defined DICT tables.
>
> Hope there was a bit of sense in these few sentences above Smile
> Rgds,
> Petr
>
-- Ulrich Merkel --
Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!


+49(69)317881
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
uli
Site Admin


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Stop activities Reply with quote

due to missing test ground, the activities have been stopped here.

If topic comes up again, we can continue.

Success, Uli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Uli Merkel's Forum Forum Index -> DITO_USVN All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Abuse - Report Abuse - TOS & Privacy.
Powered by forumup.de free forum, create your free forum! Created by Hyarbor & Qooqoa

Page generation time: 0.088